Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My fave granola

I love this granola recipe from the NYT! It has just the right blend of crunchy/healthy and sweet/savory. It smells like Christmas while it bakes, but I make it year round, with the following modifications–although, I tend to switch up the ingredients, and roughly estimate some of my measurements.

5 cups flaked or rolled oats

1 cup oat bran

1 cup flaxseed meal or whole toasted flaxseeds (NYT recommends ground flaxseeds, but these are hard to find)

1 cup slivered almonds

1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt (NYT says this is optional, but I NEVER leave out salt!)

1/3 cup butter (NYT calls for canola oil, but today I swapped it out for butter)

1/2 cup honey

1 tablespoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees . . . combine dry ingredients . . . combine butter, honey and vanilla . . . bake on two sheet pans for 45 mins to 1 hour, stirring every 15 mins and alternating the pans from the upper and lower racks.

Et voila! I let the granola cool, and then I store it in plastic bags, although it would be much cuter stored in one of these Italian glass canisters from Crate & Barrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment